Louis Larsen worked as an English instructor for the majority of his adult life. In that time, he produced many works in both novels and poetry. Louis also worked as a ghost writer for many others, as well as newspapers throughout Utah. The works here represent those left to the family, both published and unpublished. Much of his work reflects a haunting feeling of loss, pain and betrayal. This comes from the loss of his son, Thomas Larsen, in World War II. Tom served with the 85th Mountain Infantry of the 10th Mountain Division, where he served with distinguished honor, and paid the ultimate price for his commitment. Tom lost his life on Riva Ridge, Mount Belvedere in February, 1945. This loss haunted Louis for the remainder of his life. Many of his poems reflect this pain and leave a legacy of the emotional priced paid in the wake of war.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Raggie

Come, Raggie, little fellow, speak!
The woprship in your eyes
Is like the homage of the meek
That swift to cover flies
When one has seen the yearning look.
Which taken unawares,
Is plain as reading in a book,
Devout as Christian prayers.

Don't wiggle so, you little wretch,
You can't conceal your love.
The more you roll your eyes and stretch
Your little paws above
The towsled head, the flapping ears,
The plainer 'tis to see
That you'd stick by me through the years
And one day die for me.

What means that wagging of the tail, 
That squirming inside out?
Such antics, Raggie, never fail
To banish any doubt
That I'm the object you adore,
The apple of your eye.
I see it, Raggie, more and more
In every ruse you try.

Now stand up tall -- there -- that's a chap
And shake me by the hand.
And tell me with your silly yap --
That's talk we understand.
Tell me -- that's right -- one, two, three.
A pledge, old boy, that you
And  I will always faithful be,
Though times may go askew.

Now roll, three times upon the ground
One, two . . . three times, I said!
Ah, Rags, you stubborn little hound
I'll stand you on your head.
You'll do it then? You will? That's fine!
That whimpering is droll.
You love to be that slave of mine.
See how you cringe and roll!

Oh -- so?  And now you're playing dead.
That tail across your nose
Almost conceals your fuzzy head;
You're wiggling your toes!
Why don't you shut that other eye?
Dead dogs don't ever peek.
Poor doggie's dead . . . ah me -- oh my --
I'll stroke your fur down sleek.

Well - good-bye, Raggie -- I'll be off
To ramble in the wood.
Too bad you cannot go along,
As dog and master should.
What's that --? You're coming -- dead or no?
You are! Well, stop that yelp
Before another step we go --
You cunning little whelp!

(Copyright, 1940)

No comments:

Post a Comment