Louis Larsen worked as an English instructor for the majority of his adult life. In that time, he produced many works in both novels and poetry. Louis also worked as a ghost writer for many others, as well as newspapers throughout Utah. The works here represent those left to the family, both published and unpublished. Much of his work reflects a haunting feeling of loss, pain and betrayal. This comes from the loss of his son, Thomas Larsen, in World War II. Tom served with the 85th Mountain Infantry of the 10th Mountain Division, where he served with distinguished honor, and paid the ultimate price for his commitment. Tom lost his life on Riva Ridge, Mount Belvedere in February, 1945. This loss haunted Louis for the remainder of his life. Many of his poems reflect this pain and leave a legacy of the emotional priced paid in the wake of war.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

In The Door

I'll always have a memory of her
Standing in the door.
The pleasant smile upon her face,
The little frock she wore.

Her standing in the door began,
As far as I'm concerned,
When she was waiting my approach,
And hearts of lovers yearned.

Or when the old clock made it known
That time was taking flight --
And she would listen for my steops
Receding in the night.

Then in the door -- ah, anxious now,
For children at their play,
When there was not soft footfall
At the ending of the day.

A mother's heart was beating then
With fear of dire things
That might befall her precious ones --
Till sudden laughter rings!

Good-bye to friends who came to call;
She's standing in the door
To see them safely on their way,
To bid them call once more.

Goodbye to sonny off to school,
Along the daily track
Which ends at that same threshold
When she hears him coming back.

Goodbye to her of laughing eyes
Who leaves the home for good.
When plighted word must put an end
To happy maidenhood.

I see her standing in the door;
I'm coming up the lane;
And I know she knows I'm coming
by the tapping of my cane.

If time should bring sad changes
And I hear her voice no more,
I know that I shall see her -- silent
Standing in the door.

(Copyright, 1940)

No comments:

Post a Comment