Louis Larsen worked as an English instructor for the majority of his adult life. In that time, he produced many works in both novels and poetry. Louis also worked as a ghost writer for many others, as well as newspapers throughout Utah. The works here represent those left to the family, both published and unpublished. Much of his work reflects a haunting feeling of loss, pain and betrayal. This comes from the loss of his son, Thomas Larsen, in World War II. Tom served with the 85th Mountain Infantry of the 10th Mountain Division, where he served with distinguished honor, and paid the ultimate price for his commitment. Tom lost his life on Riva Ridge, Mount Belvedere in February, 1945. This loss haunted Louis for the remainder of his life. Many of his poems reflect this pain and leave a legacy of the emotional priced paid in the wake of war.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

My Dad

My dad's a pretty good old scout --
The best in all the world -- no doubt.
Of course he frowns sometimes when I
Suggest the things I'd like to buy;
He fumbles at his slender roll
And feels that life is rather droll,
With fashions changing overnight,
New gowns to buy, with spangles bright;
New shoes, new hat, new everything --
New car to trail the Joneses in --
I guess it takes a lot of tin!

Yes, dad's a pretty good old chap.
Sometimes I plop down on his lap
And bribe him with a soft embrace;
Then you should see his smiling face
And hear the pounding of his heart,
By jove, I think sometimes he'd part
With his right hand, to get for me
The score of things I want and see.
To keep his courage up, I know
He whistles -- for I've seen him go
Light hearted up and down the street,
With willing hands, but lagging feet.

In divers worlds of joy and strife,
My father seems to live his life;
A world to do his thinking in,
When bank reserves are wearing thin
And budget files are 'bout to burst
With bills that come due on the first.
You wouldn't know it, though, at night,
When he comes home with face all bright
This world you'd think, was made for fun.
He doesn't tell you when he's there
That he's a fugitive from care.

Today's his birthday -- gee, I'm glad;
I wonder what to give my dad.
His tie is faded -- maybe that;
Or could he use a better hat?
Now let me see . . his soles are thin.
Perhaps a pair of shoes would win
the smile that speaks his love for me.
Yes, that's the thing . . Or could it be
He'd rather have a pleasant book?
He's sitting there -- I'll have a look.
Ah, Now I know the thing above
All else -- he only wants my love!

(Copyright, 1940)

No comments:

Post a Comment