Louis Larsen worked as an English instructor for the majority of his adult life. In that time, he produced many works in both novels and poetry. Louis also worked as a ghost writer for many others, as well as newspapers throughout Utah. The works here represent those left to the family, both published and unpublished. Much of his work reflects a haunting feeling of loss, pain and betrayal. This comes from the loss of his son, Thomas Larsen, in World War II. Tom served with the 85th Mountain Infantry of the 10th Mountain Division, where he served with distinguished honor, and paid the ultimate price for his commitment. Tom lost his life on Riva Ridge, Mount Belvedere in February, 1945. This loss haunted Louis for the remainder of his life. Many of his poems reflect this pain and leave a legacy of the emotional priced paid in the wake of war.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Dreaming

Dreaming is a fool's delight,
Some say --
Yet I have sat and dreamed the
Day away.
Songs I have heard that I had
Thought were dead
And bits of tune have drifted
Through my head
That I once whistled on the
Way to school.
Do dreams like that make any
One a fool?

You'd be amazed at all the faces
I have seen,
Though dimming distant years
Have come between.
That time I stood amidst my
Friends and this
Sweet wasted day I use to
Reminisce
A meadow I have roamed where
Flowers' scent
And call of birds were everywhere
I went.
The river flowed the same around
The bend.
Ah, I could wish that this would
Never end.
But night is here.  A blissful
Squandered day
Must close where waters sing and
Willows sway.

So twilight brings me but the
Dream of dreams;
I sit in silence here, and now
It seems
That all the days I've strewn
Along the track
Are far more sunny when I
Bring them back.
Then do not smile at me
If I retrieve
These vanished joys.  For you
Will come to believe,
The same as I, that life's
Most blessed dower
Is in the day for dreaming
Dreams -- the wasted hour!

(First published in Along the Lane: Dedicated to the memory of Thomas William Larsen, who lost his life in World War II)

No comments:

Post a Comment