Louis Larsen worked as an English instructor for the majority of his adult life. In that time, he produced many works in both novels and poetry. Louis also worked as a ghost writer for many others, as well as newspapers throughout Utah. The works here represent those left to the family, both published and unpublished. Much of his work reflects a haunting feeling of loss, pain and betrayal. This comes from the loss of his son, Thomas Larsen, in World War II. Tom served with the 85th Mountain Infantry of the 10th Mountain Division, where he served with distinguished honor, and paid the ultimate price for his commitment. Tom lost his life on Riva Ridge, Mount Belvedere in February, 1945. This loss haunted Louis for the remainder of his life. Many of his poems reflect this pain and leave a legacy of the emotional priced paid in the wake of war.

Saturday, October 4, 2014

Confession

The selfishness I see in you
Could well be, I surmise,
A fault that I'm discerning
Through a pair of selfish eyes.

You aren't kind and courteous
When things have gone askew;
And so I'm vexed to see myself
Reflected thus in you.

That tendency of yours to rail
About what others do
Annoys me for the reason that
I'm quite a gossip, too.

Your trait of taking lots of time
And dawdling in your work
Reminds me painfully that I 
Am one who's prone to shirk.

That fault you have of laughing
Loud at every silly joke
I criticize because I know
You're just my kind of folk.

You're not dishonest, goodness no!
But tricky in a deal.
And I'm annoyed -- for I'm like that
Sometimes, I've come to feel.

I note, my friend, you aren't frank
In speaking out your mind;
That irks me, too, for in myself
That very fault I find.

You're quite a boor, if I must say,
When friends have come to chat,
I'm speaking of it, I suppose
Because I'm much like that.

And so I guess the moral is:
The tings that I eschew
Are shabby things about myself
That I perceive in you!

Louis W. Larsen
(Copyright, 1940)

No comments:

Post a Comment