Louis Larsen worked as an English instructor for the majority of his adult life. In that time, he produced many works in both novels and poetry. Louis also worked as a ghost writer for many others, as well as newspapers throughout Utah. The works here represent those left to the family, both published and unpublished. Much of his work reflects a haunting feeling of loss, pain and betrayal. This comes from the loss of his son, Thomas Larsen, in World War II. Tom served with the 85th Mountain Infantry of the 10th Mountain Division, where he served with distinguished honor, and paid the ultimate price for his commitment. Tom lost his life on Riva Ridge, Mount Belvedere in February, 1945. This loss haunted Louis for the remainder of his life. Many of his poems reflect this pain and leave a legacy of the emotional priced paid in the wake of war.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Sunflower

Oh yes, I can thrive on the rocky fringe
Of your lovely garden;
Just give me a crevice where I can cling --
If it sounds like boasting, I beg
Your pardon.
That's all I need, just the tiniest space.
For can't you see how I set my face
Toward the flaming sun?
That, friend, is the secret of how I gorw,
And it's all I ask, I'd have you know!

No, you needn't send frehets of water my way
I'm a sturdy sunflower;
The occasional rain is all I need,
Then watch me grow straight and tall
By the hour.
The drought has no terror for one like me,
And that is a truth that all can see
As I bask in the sun.
Just give me a bit of earth to claim
And I'll show you success that is worth the name.

Some call me the pest of the garden plot
And resent my intrusion;
It's the empty old creed of the squatter's right
And I'll grow up to prove that it's one
More delusion.
For beatuy is beauty on any man's ground.
And I'm here by the right of the place
I found where no flower grew.
You can't push me off from this arid spot
Where the soil is bare and the sun is hot.

Perhaps you'd do well, then, to study my ways;
Ah yes, or to emulate
My manner of taking what others don't want
And setting my roots in a sterile place,
Calling it my estate.
For see what a miracle I have wrought
With only the hope the day has brought,
And the light of the sun,
To turn my face to the smiling skies
In a flash of gold for your mortal eyes!

 (Copyright, 1940)

No comments:

Post a Comment