Louis Larsen worked as an English instructor for the majority of his adult life. In that time, he produced many works in both novels and poetry. Louis also worked as a ghost writer for many others, as well as newspapers throughout Utah. The works here represent those left to the family, both published and unpublished. Much of his work reflects a haunting feeling of loss, pain and betrayal. This comes from the loss of his son, Thomas Larsen, in World War II. Tom served with the 85th Mountain Infantry of the 10th Mountain Division, where he served with distinguished honor, and paid the ultimate price for his commitment. Tom lost his life on Riva Ridge, Mount Belvedere in February, 1945. This loss haunted Louis for the remainder of his life. Many of his poems reflect this pain and leave a legacy of the emotional priced paid in the wake of war.

Monday, November 3, 2014

Rich Man--Poor Man

Eureka! said the man of wealth,
I've made it now.  Just by myself
I've scaled Dame Fortune's dizzy height!
It's been a long and rugged fight
To break the barriers of the mart
It's taken brain and brawn and heart
to hold on through the frantic strife
Where greed for gain and gold are rife.
It's taken every ounce of strength
To weather through and come at length
To this fair day when I can find
A moment for some peace of mind.

So now I'll set my days apart
To do the things that from the heart
Must spring to make one's life complete--
Ah, friends and book in calm retreat!
Now let me see--where's my old friend?
I'll look him up.  We'll hours spend;
Just sit and reminisce and chat.
Too late, you say? What's that, what's that?
He moved away two years ago?
Ah me, the things we come to know.

Well, I've some hours on my hands.
And how the time does drag.  Good lands,
A leisure day is drab and long,
I wonder if my plans are wrong.
I'll climb up yonder hill and wait
Till eventide--and meditate.
What's this--my breath is coming short!
And why this pounding of the heart!
Am I to bid farewell to youth?
Is this the mockery of truth
That I have missed the promised thill
To see a suset from the hill?
--A well--

At least there is a friendly nook
Within my home.  I'll find a book
And through its pages go afar
To where the lands of romance are.
I'll move in realms of high estate
And be a comrade of the great--
That's it, a book, a book, I say--
To glorify each passing day!
Page one--page two--page three--
What's up--my eyes!--I cannot see
The meaning of this jiggered line.
Is this the penalty of time--
That wealth was only mine to hold
Before I went in quest of gold?

No comments:

Post a Comment