Louis Larsen worked as an English instructor for the majority of his adult life. In that time, he produced many works in both novels and poetry. Louis also worked as a ghost writer for many others, as well as newspapers throughout Utah. The works here represent those left to the family, both published and unpublished. Much of his work reflects a haunting feeling of loss, pain and betrayal. This comes from the loss of his son, Thomas Larsen, in World War II. Tom served with the 85th Mountain Infantry of the 10th Mountain Division, where he served with distinguished honor, and paid the ultimate price for his commitment. Tom lost his life on Riva Ridge, Mount Belvedere in February, 1945. This loss haunted Louis for the remainder of his life. Many of his poems reflect this pain and leave a legacy of the emotional priced paid in the wake of war.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

My Gold

My neighbors don't like my gay garden of gold;
They fume and they fret and complain
They say unkind things at my back, I am told--
But I love this fair plot, just the same.

My garden of gold is a rank growing patch
Of dandelion flowers, you see;
For a display of glory you can't find their match
So come up and enjoy them with me.

You will marvel, I'm sure, at the charm of each bloom;
At the impudent smile on its face;
How they grow in a mass till there hardly is room
For anything else on the place.

But I wouldn't uproot them to let carrots grow;
And I wouldn't make way for the lawn;
They are lovely to see and you don't need to mow
The spaces they're growing upon.

If the rain doesn't come, they don't wither and die.
They just spread out their gold all the more;
And you know by the opulent look in my eye
That there's treasure of beauty in store.

Even when they grow tall and the gold turns to grey;
They are beautiful baubles of light;
And if some errant wind comes to whisk them away
I am saddened to know of their plight.

I'm a miser, I guess, with my garden of gold.
I'm content if my wealth multiplies;
Though I know very well that the neighbors who scold
Have contempt for the blooms that I prize.

So let my gold run to the very far edge
Of the border line closing me in;
If my fair flowers come on your side of the hedge--
It's a prodigal kind of a sin!

No comments:

Post a Comment