Louis Larsen worked as an English instructor for the majority of his adult life. In that time, he produced many works in both novels and poetry. Louis also worked as a ghost writer for many others, as well as newspapers throughout Utah. The works here represent those left to the family, both published and unpublished. Much of his work reflects a haunting feeling of loss, pain and betrayal. This comes from the loss of his son, Thomas Larsen, in World War II. Tom served with the 85th Mountain Infantry of the 10th Mountain Division, where he served with distinguished honor, and paid the ultimate price for his commitment. Tom lost his life on Riva Ridge, Mount Belvedere in February, 1945. This loss haunted Louis for the remainder of his life. Many of his poems reflect this pain and leave a legacy of the emotional priced paid in the wake of war.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

The Capitalist

You see that fellow sitting there--
A-thumbing through his books?
A capitalist counting up his dough,
I'd say--from how he looks!

That capitalist who sits in there,
It happens, is my boss;
He's working over-time tonight
To figure out his loss.

O yeah, I'll bet he's got more kale
Than any man in town.
Why, he could buy a kingdom
Or the jewels in a crown.

Those bills he's adding up, my boy,
He's adding to his sorrow;
For well he knows he's got to meet
The payroll on the morrow.

Say, you don't know how rich guys live;
The time they spend in play.
They paint the town red every night,
And work but half a day.

Not this rich man--I know his kind
I've seen him toil and fight
For ways and means to keep afloat--
Then worry half the night.

The way these rich men fool you chumps
Is little short of queer;
Why, you'd retire if you had
His salary for a year.

Yes, I'd retire from the grind,
Quite right--just as you say;
If I bore only half the load
He carries every day.

Ah, he's no poor philanthropist,
The way I figure things,
He makes your wages every time
The little cash bell rings.

Well, have your way--but I'm content
To work for him and see
The pleasant smile upon his face
When he does things for me.

I'm really glad I'm not the boss--
Despite the way you rave--
I sometimes think that I'm a king
And he's my toiling slave!

No comments:

Post a Comment